Bullet Point Short History of #VAPPbill Sojourn at NASS
- First introduced as Violence Against Women Bill at the National Assembly (House of Reps) on March 28, 2002; sponsored by Hon. Florence Eya
- After 11 years, the bill having been harmonized with other related bill and renamed Violence Against Persons Prohibition (VAPP) Bill; sponsored by Hon. Abike Dabiri was passed by the House of Representatives on 14th March, 2013.
- Passed by the Senate on 5th May, 2015
- Harmonized copy transmitted to the President on 21st May, 2015.
- #Choice4Life Advocates released Press Statement on 24th May, 2015 calling for an immediate Presidential Assent on the bill.
- The #VAPPbill was signed into law by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan on 25th May, 2015.
To Download a copy of the #VAPP Act; click on #VAPPAct2015.